First Annual Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award
In Memory of Mayor Edwin Mah Lee, the APA Heritage Celebration Committee is launching the annual Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award. To be presented at the APA Heritage Awards Ceremony each year, this award is established to honor Mayor Lee’s legacy of service to the City and to the underserved communities.
- Nomination period is from February 21 through March 21, 2018
- All nominations must be submitted online and received by 5pm PST on March 21, 2018
The annual Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award will be presented to an Asian Pacific Islander American individual:
- Who has dedicated his or her career to public service in the City and County of San Francisco, either as an employee or having served on City Boards and Commissions for a minimum of 10 years;
- Who has given generously of his or her time to support San Francisco API community’s needs and projects;
- Who is a consensus builder and
- Who is a role model and mentor to the next generation
NOTE: Please note that the nominee does not have to be a current resident of the City and County of San Francisco, but the impact of their public service should have primary benefit to the API community of San Francisco.
Additional Information on the Eligibility of the Nominee
a. Public service refers to service provided in association of the government within its jurisdiction. For purpose of this Award and pursuant to the Award Criteria published above, an eligible nominee means an individual of Asian and Pacific Islander American descent in one of the following categories of public service:
- An employee of the City and County of San Francisco;
- An elected official who who is not a declared candidate for election within the 2018 election cycle as of the date of the nomination; or
- An appointed official serving on City boards and commissions.
b. The 10-year minimum requirement of public service refers to a total of ten years and the ten years need not be consecutive. This requirement applies to both an individual who is currently in public service or formerly in public service but has since been left the position or retired.
Award Recipient Selection and Announcement
- Members of the APA Heritage Awards Committee will review all nominations submitted by the deadline date and select the winner. Interviews may be conducted if additional information is needed on any nominee. Please note that if multiple nominations for an individual are received, all pertinent information for the nominee will be included for consideration.
- The Award Recipient will be notified by the first week of April and will be publicly announced at the APA Heritage Month Kick off press conference during the last week of April. The Award presentation will take place during the APA Heritage Awards Ceremony on May 2, 2018 at the War Memorial Herbst Theatre.
- The winner will receive the APA Heritage Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award Trophy, a Certificate of Honor from the City and County of San Francisco and be featured on the celebration website www.apasf.org and other media programs. In addition, the APA Heritage Foundation will make a donation of $1,000 to a nonprofit organization designated by the Winner.
Send all supporting documents for this nomination, including a one-page biography or resume of this nominee to: email@example.com with subject line: “2018 Asian Pacific American Heritage Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award.