Call For Nominations
Third Annual Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award
In 2018, the San Francisco APA Heritage Celebration Committee established a Public Service Award in memory of the late Mayor Edwin Mah Lee. The purpose of this Award is to recognize role models in the APIA community who exemplify Mayor Lee’s legacy and to inspire Asian Pacific Americans to pursue careers in public service.
- Nomination Period: February 10 through March 10, 2020
- All nominations must be submitted online
How to Submit a Nomination
All nominations must be submitted online using the Nomination Form below. To be considered, a completed Nomination Form must be submitted online by the deadline, accompanied by nominee’s resume and other relevant documentation.
Submission deadline: 5pm PST, March 10, 2020.
The nominee must be an Asian Pacific Islander American who meets the following criteria:
- Who has dedicated his or her career to public service in the City and County of San Francisco for a minimum of 10-years;
- Who has a demonstrated record of supporting the needs of San Francisco’s API community;
- Who is a consensus builder;
- Who is a mentor and a role model to the next generation; and
- Who has achieved a distinct impact in the City and County of San Francisco.
Definition and additional information
- For purpose of this nomination, the definition of “public service” includes the following:
- An employee of the City and County of San Francisco;
- An elected official who is not a candidate for office at the time of nomination; or
- An appointed official serving on City boards and commissions.
- The required minimum of 10-years in public service needs not be in consecutive years and applies to an individual who is currently in public service or is retired.
- The nominee does not need to be a current resident of the City and County of San Francisco as long as he or she meets the nomination criteria.
Award Recipient Selection and Announcement
- The APA Heritage Awards Committee will review all nominations received by the deadline date and will verify the qualification of the nominees. The award recipient will be selected by members of the APA Heritage Celebration Committee based solely on answers to the questions in the Nomination Form and other relevant information provided. If multiple nominations for an individual are received, all pertinent information will be included for consideration.
- The Award Recipient will be notified during the first week of April and publicly announced at the APA Heritage Month kickoff press conference during the last week of April.
- The Award presentation will take place at the APA Heritage Awards Ceremony on May 1, 2020.
- The winner will receive the Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award Trophy, a Certificate of Honor from the City and County of San Francisco, and will be featured on the website www.apasf.org and other media programs.
Mary Nicely, co-chair of the Awards Committee, at email@example.com