Asian Pacific American
Heritage Month 2018
A 40th Anniversary Celebration
Congratulations to 2018 APA Heritage Award Honorees
First Annual Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award
• Carmen Chu, San Francisco Assessor-Recorder
Significant Community Milestones:
• Chinese Historical Society of America (55 years)
• Nihonmachi Street Fair (45 years)
• Pistahan Parade & Festival (25 years)
• San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra (35 years)
Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of APA Heritage Month (1978-2018)
For a listing of APA Heritage Month programs throughout the City, visit our Master Calendar compiled by the APA Heritage Foundation, in partnership with the Mayor’s APA Heritage Celebration Committee and the Official Celebration Partners of the 40th Anniversary:
About the San Francisco APA Heritage Celebration
In the United States, the month of May each year is celebrated as Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. This annual celebration came about in 1978 when President Jimmy Carter signed into law a Joint Resolution of the Congress of the United States designating the month of May for the celebration of Asian and Pacific Islanders culture and heritage.
In 2005, a new community tradition was born in San Francisco when Mayor Gavin Newsom embraced the proposal by former OCA National President Claudine Cheng, to launch an annual official celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in San Francisco. The Mayor’s APA Heritage Celebration Committee, comprising of a diverse group of APA community representatives, was established to coordinate this community celebration. In 2010, the APA Heritage Foundation was incorporated as a nonprofit organization to help secure sponsorships and resources needed to carry on the annual festivities.
Over the years, this annual community celebration has been made possible through the generous support of businesses and community sponsors as well as professional services.
Thank you to over 30 community partner organizations for their role in promoting public awareness of APA Heritage Month
The annual San Francisco celebration of APA heritage month is coordinated by community representatives who volunteer on the APA Heritage Celebration Committee.
2018 APA Heritage Celebration Committee
- Claudine Cheng, Committee Coordinator
- Al Perez, Celebration Co-Chair
- Thomas Li, Celebration Co-Chair
- Alvin Louie, San Francisco Unified Lions Club
- Angela Pang, Asian Business League
- Angie Louie, Filipino American Chamber of Commerce
- Arcadi Kolchak, San Francisco Hep B Free
- Ashley Cheng, Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services
- Beverly Lee, Chinese Hospital Auxiliary
- Crystle Wong, APAPA
- Dennis Yee, Asian Immigrant Women Advocates
- Francis Tsang, Deputy Chief of Staff, Mayor’s Office
- G Preet Singh, Sister Cities International, Northern California
- George Saxton, San Francisco - Ho Chi Minh Sister City Committee
- Green Chang, Korean-American Chamber of Commerce, USA
- Hagen Choi, SF-Seoul Sister City Committee
- JJ Lara, Leadership Circle, American Red Cross
- Jack Chin, Coalition of Asian American Government Employees
- Jaclyn Chiyo Funasaki, Hawaii Chamber of Commerce of Northern California
- Jason Brock, Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services
- Jay Cheng, Asian Pacific American Leadership Foundation
- Jeanette Adi, San Francisco-Manila Sister City Committee
- Mary Nicely, Office of Assemblyman Tony Thurmond
- New Oo, Community Health for Asian Americans
- Richard Hashimoto, Japantown Merchants Association
- Ron Lee, American Chinese Cultural and Art Association
- Rose Chung, Asian American Pageant
- Suzanna Luong, Mayor’s Office
- Victor Lim, Deputy Director of Communications, Mayor’s Office
APA Heritage Foundation
The APA Heritage Foundation is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting appreciation of the diverse Asian Pacific American cultures as well as to providing a forum for community collaborations.
The main activity of the Foundation is to coordinate and support San Francisco’s annual official celebration of APA Heritage Month through securing sponsorships and community partnerships.
In addition, the Foundation’s program also includes promoting awareness of significant APA ethnic festivals throughout the year and establishing community partnerships to create opportunities for nurturing the next generation of APA leaders in all sectors of society.
2018 Board of Directors
- Claudine Cheng, President
- Scott Adams, Board Chair
- Irene Riley, Treasurer
- Matt Mui, Secretary
- Raymond Kim
- Ryosuke Kimura
- Stephen Wilson
Thank you to the 2018 Sponsors and Partners
list as of April 18, 2018
- APAPA San Francisco Chapter
- Asian American Donors Program
- Asian Pacific Fund
- Chinese American Citizens Alliance San Francisco Lodge
- Chinese Chamber of Commerce
- Center for Asian American Media
- Community Health for Asian Americans
- Filipino American Chamber of Commerce
- Japanese Chamber of Commerce of Northern California
- Japantown Merchants Association
- Hawaiian Chamber of Commerce of Northern California
- OCA San Francisco Bay Chapter
- Pacific Asian American Women Bay Area Coalition
- San Francisco Community Health Center
- San Francisco Hep B Free
- San Francisco – Ho Chi Minh Sister City Comm.
- San Francisco – Manila Sister City Comm.
- San Francisco – Osaka Sister City Association
- San Francisco – Seoul Sister City Comm.
- San Francisco – Taipei Sister City Comm.
- Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center