Asian Pacific American
Heritage Month 2019
Bringing Communities Together
Calling for Nominations 2019
Second Annual Edwin M. Lee Public Service Award
February 20 through March 20, 2019
This award was launched last year to honor the late Mayor Lee’s legacy and to inspire Asian and Pacific Islander Americans to pursue careers in public service.
Save the Date
APA Heritage Awards Ceremony and Reception May 1, 2019
Congratulations to 2018 APA Heritage Award Honorees
First Annual Edwin Mah Lee Public Service Award
• Carmen Chu, San Francisco Assessor-Recorder
Significant Community Milestones:
• Chinese Historical Society of America (55 years)
• Nihonmachi Street Fair (45 years)
• Pistahan Parade & Festival (25 years)
• San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra (35 years)
Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of APA Heritage Month (1978-2018)
For a listing of APA Heritage Month programs throughout the City, visit our Master Calendar compiled by the APA Heritage Foundation, in partnership with the Mayor’s APA Heritage Celebration Committee and the Official Celebration Partners of the 40th Anniversary:
About the San Francisco APA Heritage Celebration
In the United States, the month of May each year is celebrated as Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. This annual celebration came about in 1978 when President Jimmy Carter signed into law a Joint Resolution of the Congress of the United States designating the month of May for the celebration of Asian and Pacific Islanders culture and heritage.
In 2005, a new community tradition was born in San Francisco when Mayor Gavin Newsom embraced the proposal by former OCA National President Claudine Cheng, to launch an annual official celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in San Francisco. The Mayor’s APA Heritage Celebration Committee, comprising of a diverse group of APA community representatives, was established to coordinate this community celebration. In 2010, the APA Heritage Foundation was incorporated as a nonprofit organization to help secure sponsorships and resources needed to carry on the annual festivities.
Over the years, this annual community celebration has been made possible through the generous support of businesses and community sponsors as well as professional services.
Thank you to over 30 community partner organizations for their role in promoting public awareness of APA Heritage Month
The annual San Francisco celebration of APA heritage month is coordinated by community representatives who volunteer on the APA Heritage Celebration Committee.
2019 APA Heritage Celebration Committee
- Claudine Cheng, Committee Coordinator
- Al Perez, Celebration Co-Chair
- Angela Pang, Celebration Co-Chair
- Thomas Li, Celebration Co-Chair
- Alvin Louie, San Francisco Unified Lions Club
- Angie Louie, Filipino American Chamber of Commerce
- Arcadi Kolchak, San Francisco Hep B Free
- Ashley Cheng, Coalition of Asian American Government Employees
- Crystle Wong, Asian Pacific American Public Affairs Association
- David Latt, Office of Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Dennis Yee, OCA San Francisco Bay Chapter
- Francis Tsang, San Francisco International Airport
- G Preet Singh, Sister Cities International, Northern California
- George Saxton, San Francisco - Ho Chi Minh Sister City Committee
- Green Chang, Korean-American Chamber of Commerce, USA
- Hagen Choi, San Francisco -Seoul Sister City Committee
- JJ Lara, APA Heritage Foundation
- Jack Chin, Coalition of Asian American Government Employees
- Jaclyn Chiyo Funasaki, Hawaii Chamber of Commerce of Northern California
- Jason Brock, APAHCC volunteer
- Jay Cheng, Asian Pacific Young Leaders
- Jeanette Adi, San Francisco - Manila Sister City Committee
- Judy Lee, Office of Mayor London Breed
- Mary Nicely, Office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond
- Noora Larson, Business for Social Responsibility (BSR)
- Richard Hashimoto, Japantown Merchants Association
- Ron Lee, American Chinese Cultural and Art Association
- Rose Chung, Miss Asian Global Pageant
APA Heritage Foundation
The APA Heritage Foundation is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting appreciation of the diverse Asian Pacific American cultures as well as to providing a forum for community collaborations.
The main activity of the Foundation is to coordinate and support San Francisco’s annual official celebration of APA Heritage Month through securing sponsorships and community partnerships.
In addition, the Foundation’s program also includes promoting awareness of significant APA ethnic festivals throughout the year and establishing community partnerships to create opportunities for nurturing the next generation of APA leaders in all sectors of society.
2019 Board of Directors
- Scott Adam, Board Chair
- Steve Wilson, Secretary
- JJ Lara, Treasurer
- Irene Riley, Director
- Matt Mui, Director
- Ryosuke Kimura, Director
- Claudine Cheng, President
Sponsors and Partners
To learn more about 2019 sponsorship opportunities, please contact
Claudine Cheng at email@example.com
The following is a listing of our 2018 sponsors.
- APAPA San Francisco Chapter
- Asian American Donors Program
- Asian Pacific Fund
- Chinese American Citizens Alliance San Francisco Lodge
- Chinese Chamber of Commerce
- Center for Asian American Media
- Community Health for Asian Americans
- Filipino American Chamber of Commerce
- Japanese Chamber of Commerce of Northern California
- Japantown Merchants Association
- Hawaiian Chamber of Commerce of Northern California
- OCA San Francisco Bay Chapter
- Pacific Asian American Women Bay Area Coalition
- San Francisco Community Health Center
- San Francisco Hep B Free
- San Francisco – Ho Chi Minh Sister City Comm.
- San Francisco – Manila Sister City Comm.
- San Francisco – Osaka Sister City Association
- San Francisco – Seoul Sister City Comm.
- San Francisco – Taipei Sister City Comm.
- Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center